Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mmmmm... Dessert

So in my never ending quest to find the best tasting food, I didn't think that I could out do a Twinkie, but like my supervisor tells me at work... there is always room for improvement. Just a little history, the Twinkie was invented around 1930 by a genius named James A. Dewar in Schiller Park, Ill. He realized that machines made that were making cream filled strawberry shortcakes did nothing while strawberries were out of season, so he came up with snack cake filled with banana cream. During World War 2 bananas were rationed and the Hostess company was forced to switch to vanilla cream, some say a switch so popular they never went back. I say a concession the people of that era made and tragedy that we have to live with. So imagine my surprise when I found out that a few blocks from my new workplace is a bread store that sells banana cream Twinkies, and not only that, they sell them for around 75 cents for a box of 10, that is 7.5 pennies a piece. As the great 70's actor John Travolta once said "Oh My God".

So Scott and I leave for work about 10 minutes early, and take the detour to the bread store, I am not going to lie, we were a little giddy on this particular day, not much could take the smile off of our faces. As we walk into the tiny store our heads were on a swivel, where were they, they had to be near, then we saw them. Oh My God Banana Cream Twinkies at our 10 o'clock, we each grabbed two boxes and proceeded to the check out. Much like the fast bastard I am as soon as I got out to the car I opened the box and ate one, why oh why Hostess, why do you make them so tasty. Then I said something so profound, so mind bending, yet so simple..."oh if only I could dip this in chocolate." Then the wheels started turning. Hmmmm I know there is that product out there that makes a chocolate shell on your Ice Cream.
I took the Twinkies and skewered them so I could roll them in the Magic Shell, then put them in the freezer for about an hour just to get the out side cold so the shell would harden quicker. Then I poured a bottle of Magic Shell on to a plate and rolled the Twinkies in it. Back to the freezer for about 2 minutes and I had done it, Chocolate Covered Banana Cream Twinkies. No w during the writing of this post I did a little research, and I know there are Choco-Diles but its just not the same. Well off to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like nanas, but that looks really yummy! I love your posts! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete