Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crab Nachos


Hey all I know its been a long time since my last post, but I have been busy with work really not that much time to cook. The other night Tanya wanted some Crab Nachos like they make at Joe's Crab Shack, so I tried my best to make them. According to their menu its chips with cheese, warm crab dip and black beans. I found a recipe online and while those of you who know me well know this is killing me I took a recipe from Paula Deen and modified it. To be honest I did not even see who the recipe was from until after I had finished preparing it, and there is not a stick of butter in the recipe so I had no clue it was hers. But any way I had to change the recipe because Tanya does not like cilantro and she does not like spicy food so I left out the Jalapenos. Her recipe is as follows:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper, plus slices for garnish, optional
  • 1/2 cup light beer
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1 (8-ounce) block pasteurized prepared cheese product
  • 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked for shells
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, (about 2 limes)
  • 1/4 cup minced green onion
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

In a 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic and cook stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in the beer and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the cream, cream cheese, and processed cheese, whisking until melted and smooth.

Stir in crabmeat, lime juice, green onion, cilantro, and chili powder and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the salt, black pepper, cayenne, and cumin. The jalapeno can be used as a garnish if desired.

I then took a layer of tortilla chips and spread a layer of shredded cheese over the top, then put a layer of the warm crab dip over that, that will melt the cheese making a great plate of nachos. Sprinkle with black beans and diced tomatoes.

Well it is my weekend maybe I can come up with some thing to night, i have the All Recipes app on my phone now, so lets see what is for dinner, well the app came up with pineapple bacon burgers, not sure that will go over here so I guess i will go to the grocery store and see what they have.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I can't believe there wasn't a stick of butter in that recipe....lol....Tanya told me I needed to try these...but I don't like crab so that kinda makes it difficult for me. They look yummy tho!

    ReplyDelete