Thursday, May 27, 2010

Starting Off

Hey there, I decided that i would put my writing skills to the test and start this blog about the one thing I know... food. Simply put, I love food. I love to cook, but most off all I love to eat. I am not sure how this all will work but my goal is to post some of my recipes that I have, with pictures of me making it. I also will try to review my experiences dining out. So lets start with the dinner I made the other night, Spaghetti with Basil Seared Scallops.I made my own sauce with this recipe
2 lb. ground beef
6 cans tomato paste
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 yellow onion-diced
1/8 cup dry basil
1/8 cup dry oregano
3 Tbs Parsley Flakes
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Sugar
3 1/2 cups Water
Brown the beef with the garlic and onion in a pot ( I used to do this in a fry pan, but figured out to do it in one pot make less clean up). Add basil, oregano, parsley, then drain excess fat. Add tomato paste, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and water, stir until all are mixed well (you may need to add more water to get the consistency you want). Then finish off with salt, pepper and sugar.
For the Scallops I used
24 Scallops rinsed and drained
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon butter
Rinse and pat dry the scallops and place in a large bowl, in another bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over scallops and toss lightly, then put scallops in a large baking dish in a single layer. Sprinkle basil over scallops so that one side is sparsely covered. Heat a large skillet over medium-high, and melt the butter in the pan. Place 12 scallops basil-side down, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until dark golden brown. Turn scallops, and cook the other side. Cook the remaining 12 scallops the same way.
Well, there is my first try at a blog. Hope you enjoyed it, I did.

1 comment:

  1. And you didn't invite me over for dinner? Hey...come out and cook here! I'll do the photos for you! I am dying for enchiladas!!! You make the best!

    ReplyDelete