Saturday, August 7, 2010

Herb Encrusted Rack of Lamb and Purple Majesty Potatoes


Ok Sit back and relax, this might take a while. French Cut Rack of Lamb is one of my favorite things of all times. I mean they look like meat lollipops, how can you loose. The only thing I don't like about Lamb is that most recipes are paired with mint, and I don't care for that. Before I get to far, French Cut means that the meat is stripped off the ribs, giving you kind of a handle to satisfy the primal urge to eat meat with your hands with out looking like a total caveman. I found a recipe about a year ago for a herb and mustard crust that goes good with Lamb, and every time I make it I usually eat myself into a coma. For the crust you will need:
1 large clove of Garlic
1/2 cup fresh chopped Basil
1/3 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese1/3 cup dry plain breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp Herbs De Provence ( it is a dry mix of herbs found at most grocery stores)1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard2 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Mince garlic in processor. Add next 5 ingredients. Using on/off turns, process just until basil is finely chopped. Drizzle oil over. Process until mixture is blended. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
I usually double this because I do two racks, when your done you should have something that looks like this.
The reason I always do two racks is i roast my racks in what is call the "Guard of Honor". Not only do I think it looks cool, I think it makes it easier to make sure the crust stays on. The next step is:
Preheat oven to 425°F. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Arrange, bone side down, on small rimmed baking sheet. Press breadcrumb mixture onto lamb, coating completely. This is where I do the Guard of Honor. You stand the roasts on end and interlock the bones. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of lamb registers 135°F for medium-rare, about 30 minutes. Let lamb rest 15 minutes. Transfer lamb to cutting board. Cut between bones into individual or double chops. Oh I almost forgot I wrap the tips of the bones with foil so they don't burn and fall apart.
When I cut these the crust usually falls off, so I use it like a stuffing or spread when I serve it. Ok on to my next new discovery, Purple Majesty Potatoes. I have seen these on Food Network, and ran across some at my local grocery store, so I had to try them. I did a little research on these, and surprisingly they are are really good for you. They were developed by Colorado growers using natural crossbreeding techniques that resulted in really high antioxidants. For these I quartered them and boiled them til they were fork tender, then transferred them into a bowl containing
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp Basil
1 tbsp Dill
1 tbsp Herbs de Provence
toss that together then put on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
Ok I know its been a long post but I have one more new discovery I want to share.
Everyone meet Roxy, our newest addition to our family. She is a Blue Heeler and Rottweiler mix. But luckily for us I don't think she will be very big, she is eight weeks old and weighs in at about 3 pounds. If she ever does anything besides sleep I will take some more pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment