Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Homemade Chili...Sort Of

Good evening all, well today I spent my day off trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. After a few minutes going from cupboard to cupboard I decided that I would try to make some chili. Now I say home made.. sort of because I have found a chili kit at Walmart, now this only includes a spice package, salt, cayenne pepper and masa. The spice package is the reason I buy it, I cant figure out the blend to make my chili taste this good. I got to use my new food processor for this recipe so I am double excited. For this recipe i used:
2 pounds of Ground Beef
1 package Bacon
2 White Onions
2 Cloves Garlic
1/8 Cup Oregano
1/8 Cup Basil
Pinch of Rubbed Sage
1 Box Carrol Shelby's Chili Kit
6 8oz cans of Chili Beans
2 8oz cans of Tomato Sauce
8 oz of Water
I start this off with putting the bacon in a food processor and chopping it up. Then put the beef and bacon in a pan to brown. Next I put the Garlic and Onions in the food pro and mince them. Add the onions and garlic to the browning meat and then mix in the oregano, basil and sage. Then in the crock pot mix the tomato sauce and water with the chili mix, i only use half of the cayenne pepper. Next I put the beans in and let those just sit together while the meat browns.
Then when the meat mixture is done I add it to the crock pot. Let that sit on low for about 4 to six hours and wallah... Dinner is served.
Off to the grocery store tomorrow, going to try the gourmet mustard my sister sent me, it says it pairs well with salmon, so we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment