Thursday, January 27, 2011

New Toys and Tri-Tip

My last day off for a week so I decided that I would spend the night in the kitchen. We picked up a couple Tri-Tips from Costco, and I picked up a dozen Scallops so it was kind of a Surf and Turf for me. For the Tri-Tip I used KC Masterpieces Steakhouse Marinade and soaked the meat in it for about 4 hours.After the four hours, I out them in a glass baking dish in the oven for one hour at 350 degrees. Then I pan seared some scallops and put those on the plate with some mashed potatoes and drizzled a little brown gravy over it. I also found a new way of plating my mashed potatoes that looks a little more upscale. I put a couple scoops of potatoes in a zip lock bag and cut the corner of the bag off, this made a piping bag and you can squeeze out a nice looking design on the plate. And just for looks I cut some Grape Tomatoes and placed them on the plate to add some color.
Now on to the toys part of the night, my sister Christy sent me some cool kitchen gadgets from Alaska. The first one is called an Ulu. This is a traditional knife of the Inupiat tribe of Northern Alaska. It has a six inch curved blade and a four inch birch handle.
It came with a cutting board, the coolest part of the cutting board is one side has a bowl cut into it. You can use that to put fresh herbs in and chop them and mix them together at the same time. The company that makes these is Great Northern Products and their web site is Ulu.com. the second toy she sent is called the Alaskan Bear Claw pasta and salad server. These are pretty cool for looks, but kind of hard to use to serve with.
Bus I have not tried them on pasta yet so maybe they will be better for that. Well back to work again tomorrow, guess I should get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment