Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sweet Success


Thank you Christy!!! She sent me a link to a recipe for the cookies I wanted so bad. While they don't taste exactly like the Wal-Mart ones, they are pretty darn close. I guess the secret to making soft cookies that stay soft is sour cream, odd but it works. So here is the recipe for those of you that have a sweet tooth like I do.
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
Mix the shortening, sugar, sour cream, vanilla, and eggs together. Sift in flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well. Refrigerate the dough (in the bowl no need to cover the bowl) for 45 minutes. Generously flour your counter top and roll out the cookies. Cut the cookies, I used the rim of my PBR glass to cut my cookies. Bake them at 400 degrees until just barely light golden brown on the bottom, for me this was 9-10 minutes. After cookies have cooled you can frost and decorate.
I have another recipe for the frosting.
1/3 c. butter
3 c. powdered sugar
3 tbsp. cream or milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Beat together all ingredients until smooth.
This frosting has a kind of light tan color, but a few drops of red food coloring makes a nice pink color. I tried for purple, but apparently I am a better cook than artist. I think the color I ended up with is a purplish-grey, nothing a few sprinkles wont fix. Anyway I have a bunch more cookies to frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment