Friday, July 16, 2010

Winner, Winner, Cornish Game Hen Dinner


The wife and I were doing our monthly grocery shopping, when we ran across a section of frozen Cornish Game Hens. I had not eaten one of those for many, many years. I think I was in Junior High. Anyway, the price seemed reasonable, they were 1 pound birds for 1.97 a piece. Quick math check and we decided that we could do a nice family dinner for around 15 dollars, and with a family as large as ours that is great. So we pick up six of them, bring them home and toss them in the freezer. I decided to cook these similar to how I do the Thanksgiving Turkey. So the day before I took them out of the freezer and put them in the refrigerator to thaw. I made a Herb Butter out of a stick of butter, some Basil, Oregano, Dill, Thyme, and Herbs De Provence. Then I washed the birds and patted them dry. Next I gave each bird a nice butter massage, coating the entire bird with the Herb Butter. Now for my secret tip, carefully separate the skin on the breast from the meat, just enough to get a finger between them, and now carefully put a fresh Basil leaf between them. I did one leaf per side. Now just a little salt and pepper on top, and then into a baking dish or roasting pan, breast side up. Into the oven at 350 for an hour and you have a nicely browned bird for dinner. Quick tip for every one, when you are buying birds like this, and they all weigh 1 pound, bigger is not better. I bought one that looked larger than the rest but weighed the same, lets just say she was a big boned hen, not a lot of meat there. But the good news is my wife could not finish hers, so I got the half of the breast she did not finish. I must say the most fun I had was watching and teaching the kids how to disassemble a whole bird, they thought it was pretty cool to each have their own. If you are wondering about the rest of the sides in the picture, it was a gourmet box of Great Value Chicken Flavored Rice, and a bag of mini croissants. Hey I said it was under 15 bucks, don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment