Thursday, June 3, 2010

So that is what Hollandaise tastes like


As much as I love food, I must admit I have not had the means to try some of the so called finer foods out there. I mean it was only three years ago I tasted my first bite of Fillet Mignon. I must admit I would rather have a nice marbled Rib-eye, but that is neither here or there. So When Tanya asked me to make fish the way she likes it tonight, I decided that I would look up a recipe on how to make Hollandaise. The recipe seemed simple enough.
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • dash cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • finely chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Heat butter in a heavy saucepan until hot and foamy, but not browned. In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg yolks with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Gradually beat in butter, then water. Return mixture to saucepan and beat over very low heat until mixture is slightly thickened. Serve immediately or let stand over warm water for up to 30 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Makes about 2/3 cup of hollandaise sauce.

When it says serve immediately it was not joking, by the time I got my plate fixed, took a picture and started getting the kids their plates it had already started to break down. Now that could be my fault, first time trying it and all I may have not done it right. I put the sauce over Steelhead fillet's Tanya picked up, that i soaked in lemon juice and dry dill weed for about an hour, then fried in a little olive oil, and some steamed asparagus. Not to be outdone Tanya made a great fruit salad, using watermelon, kiwi, grapes and bananas.

On an off topic tangent here, if you are feeling like you are missing the past, I got a suggestion for you. Go to any free internet radio server like live365.com and find a station that plays old TV theme songs. It is a good way to be all nostalgic and stuff. I could not help thinking of my childhood when the theme to "Hill Street Blues" came on, although i cant remember an episode, I know that it was one of my parent's favorite shows, and I have probably sat through quite a few of them. Holy crap I have to go the theme to C.H.i.P.s is playing....bah, bah, bahbah, bahhhhhhh...

No comments:

Post a Comment